Stock Photo Gallery

Monday, August 11, 2008

Is two flashes better than one?

I admit it, I have become a fanatic follower of http://www.strobist.com/, their Blog and Flickr community. What these guys can do with the strobes is quite fantastic and the information you can get through their archives is nothing short of amazing. I have no special desire in becoming a studio photographer, neither load my room with Soft boxes, Umbrellas and alike. I'm a darn outdoor photographer, most of the time floating on a small boat with a bunch of dangerous guys fully rigged with the strongest rods and reels chasing monster fish. This is where I belong and this is where I want to improve my photo skills. Narrow, small, uncomfortable, wet and rocky environment. Not a place for a stand with a honeycomb grid, no way. To work here I will have to take advantage of small portable flash units, in my case two Nikon SB600. Actually, until yesterday I owned one and I was trying to make an old Metz 28 work as a slave unit but the thing is crap with the digital camera and won't work properly. So I decided to go for a second proper strobe, more reliable, that allows me for an accurate control and that can be managed directly from the camera Menu.


Without the off camera flash the best I could get is photos like this one above: light is quite harsh, obviously too direct and yet it worked more or less OK for the mags, is still a decent backlit image. I wonder what 2 speed lights attached left and right of the camera, or in any other different manner could work on portrait like these, an to be honest with you, I can't wait to try it. In less than one week I'll reach my friends for few days of fishing in the Mediterranean sea. I might skip some tackle here and there but you can be sure that all my new toys will be with me. I hope I will be able to post some new pictures all taken with my floating lightning set up, it will take some trial and error, sure, but this will make it even more fun. Just hope my friends (and the fish) are patient enough.

No comments: